Here at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Atlantic & Cape May Counties, our top priority is always the health and well-being of our Littles, Bigs, Staff, Board Members and Supporters.
We are closely monitoring the spread and impact of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) within the communities we serve in Atlantic and Cape May Counties, NJ. We must all join together in the effort to reduce the spread of the virus in our communities and protect those we serve.
To protect the safety of our mentoring community, we have recently taken the following actions:
- Postponed or canceled all public events and match activities scheduled during the months of March and April.
- Suspended all school-based mentoring programs until further notice; following the State’s guidelines and school’s operation. Matches are encouraged to remain in touch via text, phone or email.
- Suspended Community-Based in-person match outings through April 12th. Matches are encouraged to remain in touch via text, phone or email.
- Suspended Sports Buddies mentoring for 30 days, through April 12th.
- Closed our office to the public until further notice with staff working remotely.
- Moved agency meetings with external partners to a virtual format.
We will continue to provide updates, encouragement, and regular communication to our Bigs, Families, Partners and Supporters by:
- Periodic agency email communications
- Social media postings
- Phone calls and text messages
Program participants can continue to reach their Match Support Specialist as they always have - at their office or cell phone numbers.
We want to ensure the continuity of our program operations and we want to do so thoughtfully. Federal, state, and local governments and public health departments continue to provide additional recommendations to curtail activity. We are monitoring these recommendations on a continuous basis and will adhere to additional precautions as they come.
Thank you for your continued support.
To better enable you to speak about COVID-19 with the young people in your life, including your children and your Little, check out the following resources:
- Child Mind Institute: “Kids worry more when they are kept in the dark,” this site provides concise information for adults to remember and help with talking to youth about Coronavirus.
- BrainPop.com: Short 4 minute video for younger kids that can help explain the virus (it provides good facts to everyone else, too).
- NPR: Good comic that can be shared online, but also printed as a zine which shares facts that are easy to understand.
To make hand washing and social distancing a little more bearable, consider these suggestions:
- Discuss all of the various songs you can sing for 20 seconds while washing your hands. There are so many song choices, like this!
- Try these fun at-home activities
- Be kind to yourself and your loved ones. Household dynamics may shift, so remember, we are all navigating this together despite the distance between us
Below is a current list of our recommended sources for accurate and timely information on COVID-19 updates for NJ: